The firm you trust. The counselors that deliver.
Michael G. Hendler
Michael G. Hendler is one of Baltimore’s leading family law litigation attorneys who represents clients in complex divorce matters including financial, business and custody cases for high net-worth individuals.
He works closely with CPAs and other valuation professionals to help his clients make financial decisions throughout the divorce, custody and valuation process as well as mental health professionals in assisting in custody and visitation matters. As a trained and certified mediator, Mr. Hendler also facilitates alternative approaches to dispute resolution for his clients.
Mr. Hendler is a former Managing Partner at Adelberg Rudow. A past President of the Maryland Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, a national organization whose mission is to preserve the best interests of the family and of society, improve the practice, elevate the standards and advance the cause of matrimonial law, he also previously served on its national board of directors. He has served as the past Chair of the Family and Juvenile Law Section Council of the Maryland State Bar Association. As a former faculty member of the Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers, Mr. Hendler lectured to the Maryland State Bar Association on topics including marital property and taxes. He has given presentations to accounting firms and other groups on expert witness testimony and business valuations.
Mr. Hendler enjoys golf and spent over twenty-five years volunteering his time as a member of the National Ski Patrol System and is a past American Heart Association CPR Instructor. He is past President of Box 414 Association, Inc., a volunteer fire buff association. He and his wife, Royce, reside in Baltimore City, Maryland.
- Litigation Group
- Family Law Group
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Maryland, 1965
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- J.D., University of Maryland School of Law, 1965
- B.A., University of Maryland, 1963
- Best Lawyers® in America, 2021 in the field of Family Law
- Best Lawyers® in America, 2001-2020 in the field of Family Law
- Best Lawyers® 2016 Family Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Baltimore
- Best Lawyers® 2015 Family Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Baltimore
- 2012 Leadership in Law, The Daily Record
- 2020 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Top 100 Family Law
- 2019 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Top 100 Family Law
- 2018 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Top 100 Family Law
- 2017 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Top 100 Family Law
- 2016 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Top 10 Family Law
- 2015 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Top 100 Family Law
- 2012-2014 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Top 100 Family Law
- 2011 Top Ten Maryland Super Lawyers
- 2009-2011 Maryland Super Lawyers, Baltimore Magazine, Family Law
- James v. James, 96 Md.App, 439, 626 A.2d 381 (1993)
- Beery v. Maryland Medical Laboratory, 89 Md.App. 81, 597 A.2d 56 (1991)
- Sody v. Sody, 32 Md.App. 644, 363 A.2d 568 (1976)
Professional and Civic Involvement:
- Completed the Maryland State Bar Association mediation training program.
- Certified as an Arbitrator through American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (2007 – present)
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (former National Board of Governors, Past President-Maryland Chapter – 1999 – 2001)
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association (Past Chair – Family and Juvenile Law Section)
- The Bar Association of Baltimore City (Family Law Section)
- Baltimore County Bar Association (Family Law Section)
Publications and Lectures:
- “The evolution of DOMA, and questions still unanswered, co-author with Christine R. Hogan, Esq., Maryland Family Law Update, March 2014
- Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers (MICPEL) “Marital Property Workshop,” “Hot Tips on Family Law” and “Advanced Matrimonial Taxation Workshop”
- “Divorce Mediation” (March/April 1989) Maryland Bar Journal, Weatherly, Julia B. and Hendler, Michael G.